This exercise, which can be done anywhere, is very effective because it simultaneously trains both the upper and lower regions of the abdominals. Since the movement requires the trainee to stabilize themselves, the deep intrinsic muscles within the core are recruited. Also, remember to perform an abdominal set prior to execution.
- While seated in an upright position on either the floor, a mat or a flat bench, bend your legs and slightly lean back. You should feel a contraction within the abdominals.
- While keeping knees slightly bent, elevate heels a few inches off the ground/bench.
- Exhale and simultaneously draw your knees and chest towards each other.
- Inhale and at a controlled speed, lower back to the position mentioned in step 2.
- Repeat until the desired number of repetitions are completed.
To increase the difficulty of the exercise, you can replace the stable surface of the floor/bench with an unstable surface such as a bosu balance trainer.