About Oblique Core Twists
The oblique leg twist exercise is an excellent way to isolate the sides of the torso, otherwise known as the “love handles” or the “spare tire”. In terms of functionality, the oblique muscles are responsible for the rotation movements that we frequently perform during both athletics and day to day activities. Throughout movement execution, it is important to keep the head and shoulders in contact with the floor.
Get A Free Workout Program
Detailed Workout Programs Designed By Certified Personal Trainers.
Get Them Now!
- While lying with your back to the mat, extend the arms to the sides at shoulder level. Raise the legs until the thighs are vertical and bend at the knees.
- Inhale and at a controlled speed, allow the legs to rotate down to the side. In order to maintain a contraction of the oblique muscles, the movement should be stopped just shy of making leg-to-mat contact.
- Exhale and raise the legs back up to starting position.
- Repeat the motion, only this time, allow the legs to rotate down to the opposite side.
- Continue until muscular failure sets in.
By maintaining a slight bend at the knees throughout the movement, the exercise will be a little bit easier to complete. This is the ideal method for beginners.
By turning the head in the opposite direction of the legs, more of a stretch will be felt within the oblique muscles.